Hello.
So what's my gripe with lobbying? When I say lobbying, I mean monetary political lobbying: a company pays a government (or it's officials) to pass or redact a certain law in order to make them (the company)(normally vastly) more profit.
The reason I hate this is for two reasons:
1) It completely undermines the democratic process, as it exchanges votes (a legitimate system (kinda)) with capital (an illegitimate system, in my eyes). I'd much prefer a referendum on a vote than it being sneakily passed by parliamentarians and only because they've been given a lot of money.
2) Political decisions should be made based on philosophical rationality, rather than a corporation's profit motive ('is this going to do more harm than good?' rather than 'can we profit from this?')
I could provide examples at request, but effectively boils down to the fact that the profit motive is not necessarily a moral motive.
No comments:
Post a Comment